Volunteer Spotlight: Kayleigh Stampfler ’08

“There are series of moments that allowed me to build my own community—composed of different places and people—that are a direct result of my status as a student at the University of Rochester. I spent my time working, volunteering in the community, and building my own life that included the University.  This has allowed me to cultivate a special long-term relationship that I value.”

Kayleigh Rae Stampfler ’08 reflects back at her time at the University as one that made so much possible. From her first volunteer position, to her first job, to allowing her to hone the skills that she uses in her present career, UR created opportunities and connections that Kayleigh seized eagerly along the way.

Her sense of duty to pay it forward was the very reason that she sought out someone from the University to learn more about volunteering. She now serves on the recently-formed University of Rochester Alumni Board, the Young Alumni Council, and the Rochester Network Leadership Cabinet. She is most inspired by potential.

In her position, as Senior Philanthropic Advisor at the Rochester Area Community Foundation and as the volunteer co-chair of RocCity Coalition, Kayleigh stays aware of the striking level of need in the community by engaging with donors, nonprofit professionals, and dedicated volunteers. Giving of her time comes naturally. “I know that when I go to work each morning that I can, and will, raise more money to improve our community… Something can always be better. Seeing people live through adversity, and seeing what they have been able to accomplish despite their adversity, is moving. They have a full, honest, and genuine appreciation. They don’t lose faith. They hope for a better tomorrow. I strive to bring that perspective to my daily life, but also to my various roles as a volunteer.”

It’s clear that this ethos is part of Kayleigh’s core, and it benefits the entire University family. “There need to be allies to the various alumni communities at the table. When we look around the hypothetical table, are we missing someone? I enjoy most connecting with alumni from diverse perspectives and making sure they are represented with me as a volunteer in the work that we do to give back to the University. It allows us to fulfill needs, and make sure we are communicating in the best possible ways. I see it as my duty to be the connector, to rally others, and remind them that it’s important to remember where you came from.”

When asked why it’s important to volunteer and give of your time and talent, Kayleigh, without hesitation, offers this:

“It feels good to make the University of Rochester a priority for my philanthropy and my time. I can finally say ‘thank you’ in a way that’s commensurate with my ability and skills.”

If you’re interested in learning about more volunteer opportunities visit our volunteer webpage, contact Alumni Relations through email, or call 877-MELIORA (635-4672).

Emily Gillette, January 2018

More Stories

• URMC + Landmark Brain Development Study

The University of Rochester Medical Center (URMC) is participating in what is being characterized as the largest long-term study of brain development and child health....

• Laser Lab moves closer to controlled nuclear fusion

Scientists have been working for decades to develop controlled nuclear fusion. Controlled nuclear fusion would improve the ability to evaluate the safety and reliability of the nation’s stockpile of nuclear weapons—in labs in lieu of ac...

• Simon first in US to offer STEM-designated MBA

The Simon Business School can claim a unique selling proposition. This summer, the graduate school became the first in the country to offer students a STEM-designated MBA degree, no matter which area students choose to specialize in....

• Simon School MBA named ‘Program of the Year’ for 2018

The Simon School was honored by Poets & Quants for its newly revamped MBA curriculum, which is the first in the country to offer a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) designation in every area of specialization, (University of...