Adam Sorrentino ’18

Adam Sorrentino ’18

Adam Sorrentino ’18
Major: Archaeology, Technology and Historical Structures
Hometown: West Seneca, N.Y.

“Receiving a scholarship was incredible, a huge relief in many ways, and the only reason I was able to go.”

When did you go to Italy and what was the program you participated in?

I went to Italy during the summer of 2017 and participated in the San Martino Archaeological Field School. The typical day in a field school was early but eventful. Usually beginning with going to the dig site at 8 am and working there until 3pm.

Despite the heat, for the most part work was not overly exhausting (at least for me) but was still fulfilling when it was. Some days were spent on field trips to similar sites in the areas that had relevant information to the site and several free days were given to allow us time to rest and catch up on reading and our field journals.

On site we learned about Roman pottery, stratigraphy, Roman villa’s in the 1st century B.C.E- 3rd Century A.D., how to use a total station to find elevation points, and proper mapping techniques for plotting out archaeological sites. We also learned how to correctly identify, label, and inventory artifacts that we found.

What did it mean to you to receive a scholarship to go to Italy?

This was my first time in Italy and my first time in Europe and I had always wanted to go there.

Receiving a scholarship was incredible, a huge relief in many ways, and the only reason I was able to go. Without it I definitely wouldn’t have been able to afford the trip.

What did you learn about yourself and the world by being overseas?

I learned that I am able to adapt to anything and accomplish whatever I set my mind too, and I know that sounds cliché but it’s true.

The trip showed me I am able to work, live, and be a part of a foreign culture and experience that firsthand and only come away from it with positive experiences. I learned that travelling is one of the best things for self-growth and I think that the world in general can be full of amazing people and the more you travel the more you will meet.

Being an archaeology major, this experience really confirmed that this is what I want to do with my life. Working in the field and getting this experience was critical in my development and I am actually beginning to pursue graduate schools for next year and will be applying to several archaeology programs! I hope I can go abroad again soon but that might not happen for a while because I am hoping to do graduate research on Native Americans but I would definitely do it again if I could!

What was your favorite Italian experience and why?

My favorite experience was probably seeing all of the monuments and ruins inside of Rome and Pompeii, participating in actual archaeology work was awesome but it was awe inspiring to see some of these sights. Also worth mentioning was the incredible food, everything was new and delicious.

Anything else you want people to know about your experience?

If I had one thing to tell people it wouldn’t be about my experience it would be to encourage them to go abroad. It will be an amazing experience and you will learn things you didn’t plan on, particularly things about yourself.

Going down the road
Global experiences enrich and even transform the lives of our students. To learn how you can support our Italian studies program, contact Ashley Smith, Senior Director, School of Arts & Sciences Advancement, at (585) 276-6561. To learn how to support our myriad education abroad initiatives, contact Lisa Hall, Executive Director, College Advancement, at (585) 273-3619.

—Kristine Thompson, December 2017

More Stories

• Coach Pat Stark with Jeff Wittig ’86

Coach Pat Stark: ‘He was part of our family’

Peter “Pat” Stark, who had a highly successful career as a coach and an administrator at the University of Rochester, passed away on June 19. He was 90 years old....

• Mike Sportiello

Getting food onto the tables that need it most

Mike Sportiello is third-year PhD student at the School of Medicine and Dentistry. He’s studying immunology and how certain cells fight influenza infection. This is the kind of research that could lead to the construction of an effective ...

• ‘Our community is rallying together’

Rochester alumni and friends around the world are helping to keep health care workers safe, advance COVID-19 research, and support students with emergency needs....

• ‘Our parents and alumni in China are true University ambassadors’

The University’s China Parent Network Committee arranged an initial donation of 3,000 face masks for immediate distribution to students who were still on campus. The network then called upon the broader Chinese parent community—comprise...