Sabastian Abelezele ’20

Sabastian “Saba” Abelezele ’20

Sabastian “Saba” Abelezele ’20
Major: Mechanical Engineering
Hometown: Winkogo, Ghana
Scholarship: Joseph C. Dimino Endowed Scholarship

Dear Donors,

My dream of becoming an innovative engineer is finally materializing thanks to your generous donation. Your support has helped me pursue my education at the University of Rochester. This education is transforming me and preparing me rigorously for the future. This whole transformative experience would have been just a dream if I were left to depend on only my family’s income. Thank you for having confidence in me and investing in me. I am so appreciative of your support and thank you for your continued generosity.

Sincerely,
Saba Abelezele

“I chose the University of Rochester because of the freedom in the curriculum. Even though I will major in engineering, I will have the chance to explore other fields that I am interested in. For instance, I have a psychology minor. I really liked the psychology classes that I have taken so far and I am so glad that I had the opportunity to do them.

I also chose the University of Rochester because it has a very diverse international community, which makes me feel comfortable on campus. I am involved in Pan African Student Association, Baja Sae, Rights of Christian Initiation of Adult, Art of Science Competition, and I am a teaching assistant for chemistry.

With my profound interest in finding new and innovative technological skills to help improve the lives of people in my country, research is crucial. The University encourages and provides an enabling environment for people to do research.

As a result, I can easily pursue my research quest here. In fact, I am part of a research group studying the medieval Elmina Castle on the coast of Ghana. I spent five weeks of my summer doing this research along with Professor Michael Jarvis, Professor Renato Perucchio, and Professor Christopher Muir. I continued this research in the laboratory on campus throughout my sophomore fall semester.

This castle was built by the Portuguese in Ghana in 1482 and is still structurally very stable. Many have wondered what engineering and building techniques were used to build it. This project seeks to understand the building sequence by reconstructing a 3-D model and subjecting the model to different tests.

The project is multi-disciplinary and there are many aspects to it. For instance, I took measurements and surveyed the castle using many different techniques like laser scanning, photogrammetry, and transit (this is an instrument used in surveying to specify positions in space so that rooms can be placed relative to one another).

After graduation, I plan to work in the automobile or aerospace industry for two years. I will then go back to school and get my master’s, and maybe a PhD. After acquiring such knowledge and skills, I will go back to Ghana to apply them and help improve people’s lives by inventing and building new technologies. As of now, I am thinking of technologies like farm implements or machines that can help mechanize agriculture. The University has increased my love for engineering and has made me confident and optimistic about my future success and development.

Literally, my family just cannot afford my college education. My mother is a petty trader and the money from her business barely provides the family’s basic needs like food, water, and electricity. My father passed away in 2013. Scholarship support has meant so much to me and my family.”

Support a deserving scholar
To learn how you can help students like Saba realize their academic dreams and potential, contact Stephen A. Dare, Senior Associate Vice President for University Advancement for Academic Relations, at (585) 275-7530.

The Joseph C. Dimino Scholarship supports Arts, Sciences & Engineering students with demonstrated financial need. The fund was established in 2012 by Joseph C. Dimino ’73.

Saba is also a part of the Davis United World College Scholars Program.

—Story compiled by Kristine Thompson, with quotes and content provided by Saba Abelezele, April 2018

Tags:

More Stories

• We met here

Many University of Rochester love stories began in the halls, tunnels, and green spaces around our campuses. Explore this interactive map to learn more about some of these couples and how and where they met....

• an asian man is standing in the middle of a hall as he is leading an orchestra of students

Powerful performances for artistry ever better

When industrialist George Eastman purchased the property on Gibbs and Main Street to build a school of music and theatre, one of his primary goals was to provide the citizens of Rochester with a place to study, make, and enjoy music. Etched...

• A female nurse checking a patients heartbeat

Breaking down barriers to healthcare for outcomes ever better

Nurse practitioners at the School of Nursing provide free health services to students in the City of Rochester....

• Woman in white cap and gown holding her diploma over her head on stage during graduation

Transforming education for futures ever better.

Rochester’s Warner School of Education partnered with East Upper and Lower Schools to transform the classroom and the community....