Volunteer Spotlight: Kayleigh Stampfler ’08

“There are series of moments that allowed me to build my own community—composed of different places and people—that are a direct result of my status as a student at the University of Rochester. I spent my time working, volunteering in the community, and building my own life that included the University.  This has allowed me to cultivate a special long-term relationship that I value.”

Kayleigh Rae Stampfler ’08 reflects back at her time at the University as one that made so much possible. From her first volunteer position, to her first job, to allowing her to hone the skills that she uses in her present career, UR created opportunities and connections that Kayleigh seized eagerly along the way.

Her sense of duty to pay it forward was the very reason that she sought out someone from the University to learn more about volunteering. She now serves on the recently-formed University of Rochester Alumni Board, the Young Alumni Council, and the Rochester Network Leadership Cabinet. She is most inspired by potential.

In her position, as Senior Philanthropic Advisor at the Rochester Area Community Foundation and as the volunteer co-chair of RocCity Coalition, Kayleigh stays aware of the striking level of need in the community by engaging with donors, nonprofit professionals, and dedicated volunteers. Giving of her time comes naturally. “I know that when I go to work each morning that I can, and will, raise more money to improve our community… Something can always be better. Seeing people live through adversity, and seeing what they have been able to accomplish despite their adversity, is moving. They have a full, honest, and genuine appreciation. They don’t lose faith. They hope for a better tomorrow. I strive to bring that perspective to my daily life, but also to my various roles as a volunteer.”

It’s clear that this ethos is part of Kayleigh’s core, and it benefits the entire University family. “There need to be allies to the various alumni communities at the table. When we look around the hypothetical table, are we missing someone? I enjoy most connecting with alumni from diverse perspectives and making sure they are represented with me as a volunteer in the work that we do to give back to the University. It allows us to fulfill needs, and make sure we are communicating in the best possible ways. I see it as my duty to be the connector, to rally others, and remind them that it’s important to remember where you came from.”

When asked why it’s important to volunteer and give of your time and talent, Kayleigh, without hesitation, offers this:

“It feels good to make the University of Rochester a priority for my philanthropy and my time. I can finally say ‘thank you’ in a way that’s commensurate with my ability and skills.”

If you’re interested in learning about more volunteer opportunities visit our volunteer webpage, contact Alumni Relations through email, or call 877-MELIORA (635-4672).

Emily Gillette, January 2018

More Stories

• We met here

Many University of Rochester love stories began in the halls, tunnels, and green spaces around our campuses. Explore this interactive map to learn more about some of these couples and how and where they met....

• an asian man is standing in the middle of a hall as he is leading an orchestra of students

Powerful performances for artistry ever better

When industrialist George Eastman purchased the property on Gibbs and Main Street to build a school of music and theatre, one of his primary goals was to provide the citizens of Rochester with a place to study, make, and enjoy music. Etched...

• A female nurse checking a patients heartbeat

Breaking down barriers to healthcare for outcomes ever better

Nurse practitioners at the School of Nursing provide free health services to students in the City of Rochester....

• Woman in white cap and gown holding her diploma over her head on stage during graduation

Transforming education for futures ever better.

Rochester’s Warner School of Education partnered with East Upper and Lower Schools to transform the classroom and the community....